Very random blog about Milk, I love real milk, that is unpasteurised full fat milk otherwise known as MILK, green top, raw milk, the real stuff, whatever…..
Everyone has a favourite milk and just so many variations now but what is wrong with the real stuff I ask you!
- Unpasteurised Green Top – whole natural milk, only available direct from the farm or a your milkman for doorstep delivery if your lucky, minimum 3.5% fat content. Government made it illegal to sell in shops in 1989!
- Pasteurised Full Fat Milk – the regular full fat pasteurised variety, minimum 3.5% fat content
- Semi Skimmed Milk – the most popular variety in the UK with 1.7% fat content, our local supermarket sells this with a green lid! scandalous should be trade descriptions act green top is ONLY ever real milk not this wallow rubbish or “blue milk” as Grandma used to call it!
- Skimmed Milk – nearly all fat removed 0.1 – 0.3% fat content, complete waste of space, might as well be water!
- Pasteurised Milk – Pasteurisation involves heating the milk to a minimum of 71.7 degrees centigrade fro a minimum of 15 seconds
- Homogenised Milk – has undergone a process to spread the fat evenly through the milk, pushed at high pressure through little holes, does not get a creamy layer at the top of the bottle, used to come in funny shaped bottles!
- Sterilised Milk – pre-heated, sterilised, then homogenised and then heated in the bottle to between 113-130ºC for approximately 10-30 minutes, just about kill’s everything including some of the vitamins and taste funny different!
- UHT Milk – UHT = ultra heat treated, heated to a temperature of at least 135ºC, long shelf life ,OK on your cornflakes when camping! IMO should not be used at any other time!
- Jersey Milk – rich & creamy also know as Breakfast Milk
- Organic Milk – from Organic herd’s grazed on Organic pastures with no use of chemical fertiliser or pesticides
Update Jan 2011
Mail Order delivery of Real (Raw) Milk to anywhere in the UK direct from the farmers Hook & Son in Hailsham, East Sussex Link to website for Mail Order Real Milk