In the interest of research I have decided to willingly face the grueling task of endlessly testing and tasting the best of the best, Great British Pork Pie.
Stanforths – Mill Bridge, Skipton
These pies are superb and world famous but you must observe the strict Skipton Stanforths pie eating ritual’s, that is, you must purchase and consume your pie immediately! the pie must be hot/warm! you must assume the position or posture for hot pie eating, bent forward slightly to prevent pie juice sloppage, tie and shirt stains et al, best eaten while walking along the canal tow path. A moist, peppery pork pie baked on the premises regularly throughout the day, Delicious.
I will start with the Yorkshire Dales and my first report will be on those scrumptious pie makers from
T Kendall & Sons – Pateley Bridge
Well the various Kendall pies have been scoffed tested with the following observations:-
- Pork & Mushy Pea Pie – excellent pork and the green of the mushy peas looked well in the top of the pie but doesn’t taste any different to a normal pork pie, excellent all the same. 99p
- Pork & Apple Pie – very nice combination of excellent solid pork filling with very little jelly and a nice sweet/savoury mixture. 99p
- Pork, Stuffing & Apple Pie – or Farmhouse Pie, lovely layered effect when the pie is sliced, good short pastry, just enough apple and a nice layer of stuffing between two layers of pork, lovely stuffing flavour, excellent pie. 99p
- Pork & Pickle Pie – nice pickle smell, pie qualities as others but with a nice sweet chutney/pickle flavour, yummy… 99p
- Steak Plate Pie – a big family pie and full of big chunks of quality steak, no bits of fat and very good gravy and pastry. £4.75 excellent value easily feeds a hungry family of four.
General observations on Kendall’s of Pateley Bridge Pies, Very well filled, solid, no air space, very little jelly with a thin, crisp short pastry. Also additional fillings added subtly to the pie rather than completely smothering the quality pork pie, all made and baked on the premises with meat from own on site butchery.
The 10 year old assistant tester gave the pork & pickle and pork & mushy pea pies a thumbs up and said “100%, 5 stars and 10 out of 10” ! great praise indeed… He wouldn’t touch the ones with Apple “coz that’s minging”!