Following my recommendation of the wonderful creamy Hetton Pale Ale, I spotted Hetton Best Bitter in the Tempest Arms at Elslack when dropping off my Chutney Competition entry last night and thought it rude not to try it!
This is another great beer from the tiny Dark Horse Brewery at Hetton in the Yorkshire Dales near Skipton and well worth seeking out to try.
Hetton Best Bitter, 3.8% abv, Dark Horse Brewery, Hetton is a lovely pint, great condition was served in a branded glass and has a nice sharp dry bitter taste, a great mid brown colour, this is a real session beer that leaves you wanting more!
The Tempest Arms at Elslack is now firmly on my “must visit soon” list as they have a great selection of beers and a fantastic, varied menu of local produce including Bolton Abbey Lamb, Homemade Game Broth, Yorkshire Puddings as a starter, Game Pie, Breast of Partridge, Cornbeef Pie and Roast Belly Pork to name a meaty few.
Beer on tap at the Tempest at the time of my visit in October 2009 included :-
- Hetton Pale Ale, 4.2%, Dark Horse Brewery, Hetton, Skipton
- Wainwright, 4.1%, Thwaites Brewery, Blackburn
- Landlord, 4.3%, Timothy Taylors Brewery, Keighley
- Theakston Best Bitter, 3.8%, Theakston, Masham
- Hetton Best Bitter, 3.8%, Dark Horse Brewery, Hetton, Skipton
- Moorhouse’s Elslack, 4%, Moorhouse’s, Burnley