We have a fantastic crop of Sloe’s this year, the blackthorn bushes are full of big juicy fruits, so here is a simple method for Sloe Gin ready for Christmas, to drink yourself or bottle for Xmas gifts, Frugal Xmas – !!
You will need:-
- 1lb Sloes
- 8oz Sugar
- 1 Litre Gin
- get out for a walk and forage for blackthorn bushes, pick sloes minding those nasty blackthorns!
- prick sloes with pin or if you cant be bothered meticulously pricking a couple of hundred sloes then freeze & defrost & squish a bit!
- add sugar, gin & sloes to large sterilised kilner jar or wide mouth bottle & give a good shake
- shake every day when you pass the bottle for a week
- store bottle somewhere cool & dark and shake every week
- after 2 months or just in time for Xmas, sieve through muslin (or pillow case!) and bottle into clean bottles
- drink with friends, great nightcap or fill the hipflask for Xmas walks/shoots.
Previous post on Sloe’s and Cheap Gin here http://wp.me/p82EP-qY