Fiercely traditonal and very tasty, Beef Brisket and Carrots is an old favourite and an old school “Frugal Food”. Simply braise or roast in a casserole for melt in your mouth rich beef flavours.
I used the Aga casserole with beer & root veg. Easily feeds four (4) with meat leftover for tomorrow cold.
- 2kg Beef Brisket joint, your butcher will string it to keep it all together during cooking
- can of bitter/ale
- root vegetables, carrot, parsnip, swede, turnip, a selection of whatever you have
- bulb of garlic split into whole cloves
- place brisket joint into your casserole
- pour over a full can of beer, bitter or ale
- roughly chop carrots and any other root veg and throw into the pot
- roughly chop 2 onions into quarters will be fine
- split a bulb of garlic and throw the cloves in
- add a little more water, salt & pepper to taste
- put the lid on the casserole and slow roast for 2 to 4 hours, I put in the bottom of the Aga for approx 4 hours
- carefully remove the meat and let rest
- carefully remove the veg and keep warm to serve with the meat
- thicken the remaining beef stock for gravy
Dish up and enjoy, should be more than enough for four hungry mouth’s and you can keep the leftover meat for a cold beef brisket sandwich or salad tomorrow… I remember Grandma serving cold brisket with a Yorkshire Salad aka sweet & sour salad, Lettuce, onion & tomato in vinegar, must try that again as well.