I attended the Yorkshire Tourism Y10 launch on Monday at Harrogate to see first hand what plans are ahead for the promotion of Yorkshire for 2010.
Amidst plenty of razzle & dazzle the event included a cooking demonstration by Gita Mistry & Andrew Pern from the Star at Harome, Paganum Lamb was featured in Gita’s recipe “Chilli honey pistachio lamb chops, carrot sambaro, spinach mash and hot Thai dressing” we didn’t get to taste it but it did look & smell fantastic.
some of the initiatives launched included :-
- a Yorkshire Garden planned for the Chelsea Flower Show entitled Rhubarb & Custard.
- Leeds sightseeing bus.
- Leeds Canal barge taxi/bus service.
- Yorkshire iPhone app.
- a promotion on Yorkshire Gardens.
- The Turner Trail, highlighting the locations of many of Turners works.
- The Yorkshire Pass a Yorkshire region attraction pass.
- More TV advertising including bizarrely sponsorship of Who wants to be a millionaire.
- Advertising hoardings at Manchester airport “Gateway to Yorkshire!” and Kings Cross railway station.
- Sponsorship of various sporting events including Golf & Cricket.
- After the success of the recent TV series “The Lakes” a Yorkshire Dales version is to be filmed later in the year.
After the presentation, an informal networking opportunity over lunch which featured regional favourites :-
- Whitby smoked fish & dill pie (my favourite on the day)
- Bradford balti curry
- Yorkshire sausages with mash & gravy (not sure about those sausages? mine are better!)
- Katy’s white lavender cheese & pear salad with wild rocket & pesto oil
- Miniature fruit scones with jam & cream
- Longley Farm cheese cake