Yorkshire Rhubarb & Ginger Cheesecake
- 1.5kg rhubarb – trimmed
- 175g caster sugar
- 300g ginger biscuits
- 115g unsalted butter – melted
- 450g full-fat croudi cream cheese
- 2 lemons – zest only
- 300ml pint soured cream
- 6 free-range eggs – separated
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
Equipment – mixing bowl – sharp knife – microplane – measuring jug – whisk – wooden spoon – spatula – 25cm cake tin – rolling tin – chopping board
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Grease and line a 25cm lose-bottomed cake tin.
2. Cut two thirds of rhubarb into pieces about 5cm long. Place in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with 55g of caster sugar. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, cut the remaining rhubarb into pieces about 7.5cm long, place in another ovenproof dish with a tablespoon of caster sugar and roast until just tender but still holding their shape. Set aside to decorate the cheesecake.
4. To make the biscuit base, place the ginger biscuits in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin, leaving the mixture quite rough. Place the biscuit crumbs in a bowl, mix in the melted butter and press into the bottom of the prepared cake tin. Place in the fridge while you make the cheesecake mixture.
5. Beat the cream cheese with the remaining 125g caster sugar and the lemon zest, then add the soured cream and egg yolks and beat until smooth.
6. Spread the rhubarb onto the chilled biscuit base. Whisk the egg white until they hold soft peaks then fold into the cheese mixture and pour on top of the rhubarb.
7. Bake in the oven for about one hour, reducing the heat to 180°C/Gas 4 once the cheesecake has risen. The top should be firm to the touch but still slightly wobbly. Leave the cheesecake to cool then remove it from the tin, arrange the reserved rhubarb on top and dust with the icing sugar.